Transform your home with a wall mural. Here’s how!
Moving away from traditional wallpaper into the world of wall art murals can seem a bit daunting. Many people might shy away from such a move because they think it’s too much of a bold statement. The truth is, the right wall mural can accent your décor as much or as little as you want it to – it’s all about making the right choice.
Where do you start? We’re here to help with 7 easy design tips for you to make the right decision when it comes to wall murals for your home.
- Choose the Right Colours:This is a fundamental thing you have to consider right from the beginning when shopping for a wall mural. Whatever your wall mural is depicting, you need to make sure it’s working with the colours in your home’s décor and not fighting against them.
- Choose your Interior Design Style:The next thing you need to determine is your overall interior design style. When choosing a wall mural for your space, make sure it fits with the interior design style you’re aiming for: is it modern? Rustic? Industrial? Figuring this out will guide your choices.
- Room Size and Colour:The size of the room will constrain certain features of the wall murals you choose for it. If you’re dealing with a small room, avoid dark colours as they will make the space feel more closed in. Lighter colours will tend to open up the space. Make sure to co-ordinate with the rest of your décor, however.
- Room Size and Theme:Choosing murals depicting vast nature scenes like forests (especially with focal points that draw the eye into them) will create the illusion of space in the room. Landscapes like waterfalls or fields with clear skies will provide the same effect.
- Think about Placement: Consider what walls you’re going to put murals on. You need to think about one-wall accents versus putting a mural on every wall of the room, for example. Single-wall murals generally draw the viewer’s eye to a specific area of the room, while murals on every wall can turn the entire space into an immersive experience.
- Covering all 4 Walls:If you’re going for the total experience by covering all 4 walls of a room, your goal is to not overwhelm people as they step into the space. If you want to play it safe, go for simple, classic designs. Large scale geometric designs can work well in this case and can provide a fresh contemporary look.
- Covering One Wall:If you’re putting a wall mural on just one wall in the room, you can try bolder options like murals with high gloss, shiny elements or brighter colours. This is your opportunity to draw the viewer to a particular area. Creating an accent wall with beach wall murals or cityscapes is a great way to add some spice to your décor.
These 7 easy tips should get you started on the right path to choosing the right wall art mural for your home. Remember, have fun and stay true to yourself and your tastes!